Customer Support

Money Worries

We appreciate that your circumstances may change and you may experience temporary financial difficulties. If this is the case, please call us on 01228 403283 or email the team at

It is important if you find yourself in financial difficulties you let us know as soon as possible. We will be sympathetic and positive and we will do all we can to help you overcome your difficulties.

The sooner we discuss your problems, the easier it will be to find a solution. The more you tell us about your financial circumstances, the more we may be able to help. It would be useful when speaking with us, if you could have ready:

  • Your household income (your’s and anyone else who lives in the property contributing towards bills. This information could be from a payslip, benefits notification, pension)
  • Savings information (amount of any savings you may have and if the funds are easy to access)
  • Outgoings (such as mortgage, rent, childcare, council tax)

How to avoid incurring charges

Charges may be applied to your account when we are asked to pay an item from your account by Direct Debit, Standing Order, Debit Card or Cheque and when there are insufficient cleared funds in your account to cover the amount of the item. The following tips are provided to help you avoid incurring these types of charges:

  1. Pay in sufficient funds - Ensure that you have paid sufficient cleared funds into your account to cover any direct debit and standing order payments. Make sure you have the funds in your account no later than 3.30pm on the day the payments are due to be made.
  2. More than one account? - If you keep funds in more than one account, transfer these all into the account from which you make your regular payments.
  3. Check your statement - Check your statements regularly. Make a note of the dates when your Direct Debit, Standing Order and Internal Transfer payments are due.
  4. Check your cheques - Keep a record of any cheques you have written and when they’ve been paid, Keep a record of any cheques you have written and when they’ve been paid, so you know the amount of available funds in your account.
  5. Record your debit card use - Keep a record of any debit card payments made and take these into consideration when checking the available funds in your account. Debit card transactions are not always reflected immediately in the available account balance.
  6. Change your funding - Change how your account is funded. For example, changing the method or source of funding and the timing of these.
  7. Change your payment dates - Change Direct Debit, standing order payments and internal transfers so they occur at a better time. For example after you have been paid, or change to an alternative payment method.

Dealing with debt

Practical steps you can take to help resolve your debt problems:

  1. Be honest with yourself - Acknowledge the problem. Don’t ignore post from people to whom you owe money.
  2. Contact us - If you think you might be getting into financial difficulties. Let us know and ask how we can help.
  3. Draw up a budget - Make a list of all your debts and prepare a statement of your financial position. Detailing your income and expenditure and how much you owe.
  4. Maximise your income - Decide on your priority financial commitments and maximise your income by cutting down on non-essential spending and claiming any benefits or tax relief for which you may be eligible.
  5. Make us an offer - Check your budget to see what you can afford. If we accept your offer, make sure you stick to it.
  6. Review your circumstances - Assess your ongoing financial position regularly. Keep us posted of any changes.
  7. Contact a specialist - There are expert money advisers who can give you help. Support and advice is available to help you deal with your circumstances.
  8. Contact all creditors - So that they are aware of the situation. So that they are aware of the situation.

For more help and advice, download our Dealing with Debt guide for customers.

Difficulties repaying your mortgage

Contact us as soon as possible and we will discuss the situation with you, give you reasonable time to pay back the debt and only start proceedings to repossess your home if we cannot solve the problem with you. We might be able to arrange a payment plan with you, change the way you make your payments and/or allow you to pay back the mortgage over a longer period of time.

  1. Seek debt advice - You should seek debt advice if you feel you need help with managing your finances or claiming state benefits. If you have an insurance policy, check whether it would help with your payments and keep us updated if your circumstances change (if you can’t keep to the payment plan or if you move to a new address). In some cases you may be able to get help with your mortgage payments from the Benefits Agency. You are however strongly recommended to take out Mortgage Payment Protection, to cover your mortgage payments against sickness, accident and unemployment.
  2. If we cannot agree a solution - If we cannot agree on a solution to repay your mortgage, we may send an agent to see you to discuss your financial circumstances and we may go to court to start proceedings to repossess your home. We will keep trying to solve the problem with you; possession is the last resort. You may be thinking about handing your keys over to us. If you do this, you will still owe us any outstanding debt, and we would advise you to discuss this option with us before taking such action.
  3. If we repossess your home - We will try to sell it as soon as possible for the best price we can reasonably get. We will use the money raised to pay your mortgage and any other loans or charges, if there is any money left over, it will be paid to you. If there is not enough money from the sale to pay the whole mortgage, you will still owe us the amount that is left (a shortfall debt).
  4. Other issues to consider - Some companies may offer you new loans or even invite you to sell your property to them and then lease it back as a way of resolving your short term financial difficulty. Please be careful, as such actions may not be in your long term best interests. We would advise you to seek independent advice before entering into any arrangement of this type. If you are in financial difficulty you can also get help and advice from debt counselling organisations. With your consent we will liaise, wherever possible, with debt counselling organisations.

For more help and advice, download our Mortgage Arrears leaflet.

How we can help

Contact us as soon as possible and we will review your situation with you. We will provide you with information about how you can avoid charges being applied to your accounts and sources of free, independent money advice. You will get clear information about the amount you owe and we will develop a plan with you for clearing your debts in a way you can afford. We will also tell you beforehand about any action we may need to take, for example, going to court, and what extra charges you may have to pay if we do so. We can help you keep up to date with day to day payments and your account balance in a number of ways:

Customer Care helpline
Based in our Carlisle head office, our Customer Care team are here to help and answer any questions 7 days a week
At cash machines
You can check your balances at LINK and Visa ATMs
At any branch
We have 34 branches, so when you're out and about, a friendly local branch team are nearby to help you 6 days a week
Internet Banking
Log on to view the balances of your current account, savings accounts and mortgage, and transactions of your current accounts and some savings accounts
Mobile banking app
With our Mobile Banking app, you can quickly check balances and transactions of your Cumberland accounts wherever you are
Complete an Income & Expenditure form
Filling in an income and expenditure form can help us understand your current financial position and find the best solution to support you.

More help is available

You may want to talk to your family, friends or support agencies who may be able to help. Many people find it helpful to get advice from a specialist debt counsellor (usually called a money adviser). You can get free, independent money advice from any of the following:

Building Societies Association (BSA)
Can't pay your mortgage?
The BSA have published a helpful guide to help those who are struggling to make their mortgage repayments
Government Guidance
Guide to property repossessions
The government provide a useful guide to help those who need to understand more about property repossession

Cumberland Building Society is not responsible for the content of the external internet sites.