We’re working hard to protect you against fraud, but there are ways you can help protect yourself and your money against fraud too. Follow these small steps, which together can make a big difference in protecting yourself financially from criminals.
1) Enable Virus Protection - Check your mobile devices are protected against malware (malicious software) or viruses.
2) Add a Phone PIN - Set up a PIN, fingerprint or face ID on your mobile device. Don’t store your passcode, password or access code on it. Don’t share it with others.
3) Avoid Public Wifi - Avoid using public wifi. Disable Bluetooth when using our app.
4) Use only Official App Stores - Only ever download our app from the official app stores: iTunes or Google Play.
5) Don't Tamper with Your Device - Don't install the app on a rooted or jailbroken devices, in other words a phone that has had its default operating system restrictions removed.
1) Use only Official Links - Only log on from our website cumberland.co.uk (or cumberland.co.uk/business for businesses).
2) Enable Software Protection - Install firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware software on your computer. Keep them, your operating system and browser up to date and carry out regular scans.
3) Use only Secure Wi-Fi - If you have your own wifi hub, make sure it’s set up to be secure and password protected.
4) Avoid Public Internet - Don’t use public computers to access Cumberland Internet Banking unless absolutely necessary. Always ensure your access details cannot be viewed by anybody else and you log out when finished.
5) Always Be Aware - Never log on to your Internet Banking if asked by a cold caller (for example, someone offering to fix, upgrade or protect your computer). Do not disclose any of your personal access information.
Including your PINs, passwords, access code and passcode.
1) Don't write them down - Never write down or record your personal codes and numbers in a way that could easily be understood by someone else.
2) Tough To Guess - Never choose personal codes and numbers that could be easy for others to guess (such as your date of birth).
3) Keep Secret - Never tell anyone your personal codes and numbers. This includes family, friends, Cumberland staff and the police. You are the only one that should ever know them.
4) Keep Them Covered - To prevent anyone else seeing them, always cover your personal codes and numbers when entering them.
5) Card PIN and Phone - Never enter your PIN into a telephone keypad.
1) Regular Checking - Regularly check your statements for unfamiliar transactions.
2) Keep Us Informed - If you notice anything unusual on your statements, let us know immediately.
3) Missing Post - If you’re expecting a statement in the post and it doesn’t arrive, please tell us.
4) eStatements - If you use Internet Banking, you can access eStatements online or via our Mobile Banking app.
5) Mobile Banking App - Use the Cumberland Mobile Banking app to keep up to date with your latest eStatements and transactions.
1) Keep Them Close - Don’t let your card out of your sight when making a transaction.
2) Only You - Never allow someone else to use your card, not even your partner, family or friends.
3) Don't Be Distracted - Don’t let anyone distract you when using your card and always put it away quickly afterwards.
4) At Home - If you live in a property where other people have access to your mail, you can ask us to make your card unusable until you call us to say you have received it.
5) Lost or Stolen - If your card is lost or stolen, report this to us immediately by calling the number on the back of your card. If you call out of hours it is important that you leave a message on the answer machine. By doing so your liability for any fraudulent transactions ends at that point.
1) Behind You - Be aware of others around you. If someone close by the machine is behaving suspiciously or makes you feel uncomfortable, use another one.
2) Keep Your Eyes Peeled - If there's anything unusual about the cash machine or there are signs of tampering, don't use it and tell the building society, bank, police or building owner immediately.
3) Avoid Darkness - Avoid using cash machines in poorly lit or isolated areas.
4) Cover Up - Cover the keypad to avoid anyone seeing you enter your PIN.
5) Swallowed Card - If the cash machine doesn't return your card, tell us immediately.
1) Clear Payee Details - Add additional details next to the person or company you're paying when possible, for example, XYZ bank, J Jones, account number XXX.
2) Close Spaces - Draw a line through unused spaces and include the word 'only' after writing the amount in words.
3) Making Changes - If you make a mistake, cross it out and sign your name next to the correction.
4) Blank Cheques - Never sign blank cheques!
5) Full Completion - When writing cheques, be sure to complete all sections, including the payee name, and the amount in both words and figures.