Here is a wide range of useful information for our customers. If you can't find what you are looking for, please get in touch


  • Cumberland Base Rate History

    The table below shows the Society’s base rates from 1 February 2009.

    Date Residential Buy To Let Commercial
    1 February 2009 4.49% 5.40% 4.99%
    1 October 2016 4.24% 5.40% 4.99%
    1 January 2018 4.49% 5.40% 4.99%
    1 September 2018 4.74% 5.65% 5.24%

  • Insurance Claims & Policy Queries

    If you need to make a claim, call Aviva’s 24 hour claims line on 0800 092 3784. They are open 24 hours, 365 days a year.

    There’s no need to fill out a claim form or arrange estimates, Aviva will take care of all the arrangements and, provided the incident is covered, settle the bill (apart from the excess) directly with the supplier.

    To speak to Aviva about an existing claim, call them on 0800 092 3784 between the hours of 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

    If you would like free legal advice, or to make a legal claim, call Aviva on 0800 051 1701.

    In all cases, please quote your policy number.

    If you have any questions about your policy, or want to make any changes to your policy, please call us on 01228 403141.


  • Changing Your Mind

    If after opening a savings or current account you find that you are not happy about your choice of current or savings account (except for a fixed rate account) you may cancel it within 14 days of:

    • the day the account is opened or your first deposit made; or
    • the day you receive your Cumberland Savings and Current Account Conditions leaflet

    We will then help you switch to another one of our accounts or we will give you all of your money back with any interest you have earned. The interest we pay to you in these circumstances may be calculated at the rate advised at the time for our Instant Savings account. If your account has been overdrawn you may be required to repay any debit interest owed before the account can be closed. We will however ignore any notice period and any extra charges.

    If you do not exercise your right to cancel during this period, you will be bound by the account's terms and conditions.

  • Important Details For Payments

    If you are receiving money into your account or setting up a direct debit instruction to pay a third party, it is your responsibility to provide the payment originator with the correct sort code and account number.

    For Faster Payments, Bacs and CHAPS you should quote sortcode 16-52-21 and your eight digit Cumberland account number. These can be found on your account statement, on your Visa Debit card, on Cumberland Internet and Mobile Banking and on Pay2Mobile.

    For bank transfers from overseas, you should quote the SWIFT BIC (Bank Identifier Code) and IBAN (International Banking Account Number) displayed at the top of your account statement. Alternatively you can obtain this information by visiting your local branch or calling our Customer Service Helpline on the numbers below.

  • Trouble Logging On?

    If you are having problems logging on to Internet Banking or the Mobile Banking App please follow the guidance below:

    Internet Banking

    Forgotten User Name If you use our Mobile Banking App you can find it there; alternatively please call us
    Forgotten Access Code You can reset your Access Code by selecting the link on the logon page. Otherwise please call us
    Forgotten Memorable Word Call us
    Access Suspended Call us

    Mobile Banking App

    Forgotten Passcode You can reset your Passcode by selecting the link on the logon screen. Otherwise please call us
    Access Suspended Call us
    Forced to re-register when using the App You may not have enough storage space on your mobile phone. You can check and manage your available storage space by accessing the Settings option on your phone. If you still experience problems, please call us

  • Lost/Stolen Cards & Other Items

    Contact us as soon as possible if you lose your cash card, debit card, mobile phone, cheque book or passbook by calling our Customer Service Team on 01228 403141.

    If you are calling outside the Society's normal opening hours, it is important that you leave a message on the automated service.

    Your liability for any fraudulent transactions will cease at that point, unless you are deemed to have acted negligently in any way or breached the Society's terms and conditions relating to the security of your card and/or PIN.

  • Lost & Forgotten Savings

    There are many thousands of forgotten bank and building society accounts in the UK, known as ‘Dormant Accounts’. The definition of a dormant account under the Dormant Bank and Building Society Accounts Act 2008 is one that has had no customer initiated activity for fifteen years or more. The Society is committed to making contact with as many affected customers as possible to reunite them with their funds.

    If you think you may have a lost or forgotten account with the Society, all you need to do is either:

    Ownership of money in these accounts always remains with the customer or their beneficiaries regardless of how much time passes. Customers with accounts identified as ‘dormant’ will retain full membership rights (where applicable). It is also possible to trace another person's lost account if you are legally empowered to do so.


  • Changing Your Personal Details
    If you need to update your details, the best way is to visit your local branch.

    If you're unable to visit a branch, we can accept a request to change your details by post. Please include in any correspondence your full name, account number and signature. For any supporting documentation, please send the original or a Solicitor certified stamped copy.

    We cannot currently accept changes to your details over the telephone.

    Change of address

    We will require your full new address, including your postcode. Please note that we can't change an address without a postcode. You will need to bring along your account number and identification (e.g. driving license, passport). If your account is a joint account, both signatories will need to change their details; however you do not have to come into branch together. Please note we can't change the other account holder’s address without his or her written authority.

    Change of name

    We will require your new name along with proof of your name change (e.g. Marriage certificate, Decree Absolute, deed poll).

    Change of telephone number

    We will require your full new contact numbers.

    Customers living outside of operating area

    If you live outside our branch operating area, we can accept your signed instruction to change your details by post.

  • Financial Ombudsman Service

    We support The Banking Conduct Regime which is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service. We have an internal complaints procedure to help resolve any problems you may have concerning the operation of your account.

    Click here to view our complaints procedure.

  • Financial Conduct Authority

    As you may be aware, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulates the sale of mortgages, to ensure that we and other mortgage lenders comply with rules and standards in all our dealings with you.

  • Interest Rate Change Notices

    Changes to interest rates will normally be notified to customers either by giving you personal notice, or by a combination of notices placed in branches, on our website or via public news media:

    • Evening News and Star
    • Annandale Observer
    • Annandale Herald
    • Dumfries and Galloway Standard
    • Dumfries Courier
    • Moffat News
    • North West Evening Mail
    • Westmorland Gazette
    • Eskdale and Liddesdale Advertiser
    • Hexham Courant
  • Charitable Assignment & Windfall Rights

    The Charitable Assignment is the scheme under which all investing members of the Society who joined after 16th November 1998 are obliged to assign any potential conversion benefits to the Charitable Foundation.

    This is an irrevocable condition of new members opening new investment accounts.

    Why was the scheme established?

    The Society, along with a number of other building societies, in the past has suffered disruption to its business as a result of the high number of enquiries from people wishing to open accounts, largely to benefit from potential windfall gains which might be paid in the event of the Society being taken over or converting to a public limited company.

    What if I was a member of the Society before 16th November 1998, but decide to open another account?

    If you have been a constant member of the Society, with no break, since before 16th November 1998 and open another account now, charitable assignment will not apply.

  • Support For Bereavement

    To help you during this difficult time, we have put together a practical guide which includes all the information you need to know in order to organise the financial matters of your next of kin or someone close to you.

    To guide you, we have detailed some of the key steps that you (as the next of kin or Personal Representative) will need to take following the death of a loved one.

  • Money Advice Service

    The Money Advice Service has launched a financial health check which is based around a series of multiple choice questions on personal budgets. The questions focus on a customer's attitude to money, looking at your current situation in relation to savings, debt and housing costs, as well as considering future changes to income or circumstances.

    The Money Advice Service Health check can be accessed by clicking here.

FSCS Logo (Small) FSCS Logo (Large)

Your eligible deposits with Cumberland Building Society are protected up to a total of £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, the UK's deposit protection scheme. Any deposits you hold above the limit are unlikely to be covered.

Please click here for further information or visit